Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Brainstorming for "Eye" essay #1

I was not here for Monday's class, however, I feel as though I have a good idea for our first "Eye" essay...

I'm thinking that I want to write about working in retail.  Like I've stated in class before, I worked in retail for almost 3 years.  (3 years too long, if you ask me).  Within those short years, I have had so many ridiculous experiences, and have gained so many different perspectives on the human race (lol).  I want to incorporate stories that I experienced first hand, involving the customers as well as the staff.  There was a time when I was so close to my co-workers, that it made the experience of working in retail almost pleasant.  There was a downside to it, though, because when one of my managers got fired suddenly, it ripped our store apart and completely ruined our morale for a while.  

There is so much to retail that many people do not get to see, unless they have worked in retail themselves.  The dynamic of the staff has a lot to do with how well the store is run, which is something that many customers do not realize.  If a staff is not being treated properly, then the work that is required is not going to be 100%.  I would like to take my readers inside retail, and give them an idea of the issues that I saw.  I want to talk about certain memorable customers (such as the lady who threatened to urinate on the floor-another memorable story of mine).  I also want to include stories about my former co-workers, because ultimately, they have a huge impact on how well a person does at a job.  I may have a hard time from turning this into an "I" essay, but I'm really going to not focus on MY personal feelings, but rather, the experiences that were encountered around me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment