Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Brainstorming continued for Eye essay...

So. I've been thinking a lot about this topic, and I think I've come up with how I'm going to go about writing this all out.  Like I said, I really want to write about working in retail.  I want to discuss 'behind the scenes'...I know that sounds very dramatic, but, for those of you who HAVE worked in retail, you know that there is always a 'behind the scenes'.

I worked at a store called Five Below.  Many of you may not have heard about it, because it is fairly new in the retail world.  When people used to ask me what kind of store it was, I always used to describe it as an 'upscale dollar store', lol.  For those who have never been in one, everything is $5 and under.  A lot of stuff is crap, but there are some pretty good deals there from time to time.  Anyway, I worked there for almost 3 years, and let me tell you-I have never encountered more drama that I did working there. There was always something going on-whether it was in management, between the associates, or fights amongst the customers-there was rarely a dull moment.

I encountered a lot working there, and I learned a lot as well.  What did I learn?  Well, I realized that no matter where a person works, there is most likely going to be some type of inequality and unfairness felt among the staff.  Even in a small store like Five Below, there is always some type of politics going on-who doesn't like who, who is sucking up to the boss, why are they being promoted, and so on.

One story that I am definitely planning on sharing is the firing of my favorite manager, and how I finally found out that his firing was planned among the other managers.  When he got fired, it was felt throughout the store, and it definitely ruined the morale of the store for a while.  That's another thing I want to share-how the attitudes of the staff effects the performance of the entire store.

I'm going to compose a number of stories to sort of 'uncover' the true side of retail that many people may not know about.  It was such a big part of my life, and it's weird to think that working in a small store can really change a person's outlook on things. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment